At Bailey Johnson our lawyers are well-versed in the representation of municipalities and public bodies. Our attorneys have held elected office and have been employed in positions such as town attorney, city attorney, and special district counsel, giving us a unique understanding of the factors that face municipalities. Over the years, we have represented numerous counties, cities, towns, and villages.
For our municipal clients, we handle general as well as special representation in such areas as planning, zoning and environmental law and in rem tax foreclosure and tax certiorari proceedings. For our private sector clients, we appear before government boards and agencies in those areas. We also engage in administrative and litigated proceedings both before and on behalf of governmental units.
We represent all types of governmental bodies anywhere in New York State, including:
Our Municipal Law & Land Use lawyers provided representation and guidance on wide range of matters including the following:
- Drafting of municipal resolutions, local laws, contracts, and other legal documents
- Review of municipal agendas and representation at municipal meetings and hearings to proactively identify and diffuse potential legal problems
- Examination of the tax assessment rolls and representation in tax assessment appeals
- Representation at court proceedings and hearings
- Creation of forms, policies and procedures to standardize government operations and best practices
- Advice and counsel to minimize municipal liability
- Article 78 and other challenges to municipal determinations
- Building Code, Zoning Code and environmental violations and compliance
- Guidance regarding the Open Meetings Law and Freedom of Information Law